Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Y!




I made it back for a second post. The purpose of this blog is to write about positive things  and things that may help people. Like sharing information on topics, telling a story or just sharing ideals.



Today was all about the YMCA. What a fantastic organization!  First thing this morning I heard the news story about YMCA possibly changing the abbreviation to just The Y to most likely try and change the brand and generate more knowledge among communities. People have for a long time referred to it as "theY" and now the organization will and try to capitalize on it. I was looking for a way to put more activity in my life to increase my flexibility and strength. Growing up I took physical therapy (PT) 3 times a week while in school but as an adult I had to have a prescription. Insurance only covers PT on a rehab basis and not ongoing (which is wrong but that's a another blog post). Knowing that a gym membership would be costly because I would need a personal trainer due to not being able to use the machines, I started searching for something that would help me accomplish my goals. I was frustrated at first because there are not a lot of programs out there for the physically challenged but then I found the Y!

The Y is just like a gym but it offers more services for a much lower cost. The hours are great! They have a pool, basketball court and tennis court. They offer all kinds of classes for all fitness levels. Even one for the physically challenged called Silver Sneakers. I am trying it soon.

The trainer showed me many things I could do to strengthen my core and lower back muscles. No special equipment needed which is good. Will return next Tuesday! Let's get moving!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment